Ohio students struggle every school year trying to keep up their math skills. Ohio Math Corps is designed to provide individual and small group math support to students who just need a little extra help.
Ohio Math Corps tutors will receive 3 weeks of training at the Educational Service Center of Central Ohio in September, then will be placed in one school where she/he will serve as a math tutor to approximately 20-30 students (grades K-5) over the course of the school year.
Hours : Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week from September 5 – June 30, approximately 9-3.
Ohio Math Corps tutors receive $640/month plus an Education Award of up to $2,900 – this can be used to pay tuition, student loans, or other education expenses. Members who are 55 and over by September 5, 2017 are eligible to transfer their award to their child, grandchild, or foster child.
AmeriCorps engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at 21,600 unique sites including nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 1 millionAmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
Minimum Qualifications :
· High school diploma (Some college preferred)
· Passion for helping others
· Must be proficient in performing basic computer functions, including email and excel
· Must have reliable transportation
· All members must complete background checks (State criminal, FBI, and NSOPW) prior to starting service.
· Provide daily math intervention to approximately 20-30 children total, one-on-one or in small groups for 15-30 minutes per day, 3 days per week minimum per student
· Maintain a complete and accurate record of all project-related activities including student attendance and math performance
· Communicate directly with teachers/coaches/supervisor regarding student performance
· Participate in ongoing training/professional development throughout the year
· Participate in community service activities on National Days of Service (min. 1 per year)
· Monitor progress by administering assessments properly and according to schedule
· Complete all requirements stated in the AmeriCorps Member Agreement
· Attend monthly team meeting
· Participate in quarterly Justice Talking sessions