Engineers affect everything about the way people live, so it is not surprising that they also have a big impact on the animal world. Environmental engineers, for example, are often tasked with evaluating projects in order to minimize negative effects on valuable animal species. In some cases, engineers have developed ingenious solutions to help animals and people share the planet.
The International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) maintains a list, known as the IUCN Red List, which ranks the conservation status of thousands of species. For your essay, choose an animal that is ranked by IUCN as either: vulnerable, endangered, or critically endangered. Learn about the animal and consider how engineering might improve life for that species. To prepare your essay consider the following questions:
- Why did you choose this species, and what problem or problems does it face?
- What ideas have already been tested that may help to design a solution and begin solving those problems?
- What specific solution would you suggest to help solve the problems faced by this species?
- Aside from the animals, who would benefit from your proposed solution?
- Are there any policies or standards currently in place that would affect the way your solution could be implemented?
- Who would have to be involved in implementing the proposed solution?
- Who should fund the proposed solution